Tuesday 30 October 2018

Update as stress levels soar.

Stress levels are rising steadily over the last few days of October. Soon the first of November will be here and that means #NaNoWriMo aka #nanowrimo2018 is due to start.
Although my project for this is fully outlined and the prospect of starting this project does not scare me nor stress me out, the fact that I want to finish the first draft of 'Growing Love' before November does.
This sixth book in the 'Friends, family and love' series is progressing slower than I had hoped. The words flow from my fingers quite easily, that is not the problem. The problem is, more words emerge than I would expect and the chapters are longer than I anticipated. The grand total of words at the moment stands at 105411 and I'm nowhere near finished. Another 10 chapters are waiting to be written before the book is completed, well the first draft. Is that possible to do in the remaining days of October? I have no idea. Only today and tomorrow are left and I will need to see how fast those chapters flow from my fingers onto the screen.
Perhaps it doesn't help that the draft edit happens as I go along. In other words, I write the scenes in yWriter 6, copy and paste them to ProWritingAid and tidy them up, then double check in HemingWay Editor before copy and pasting them back to yWriter 6. Grammarly also checks at the same time. At the moment I'm averaging around 7000 words and 2-3 chapters a day. This does not bode well for completing the first draft in time and it seems likely that I'll have to work on both projects at the same time.
Perhaps at least doing one chapter of 'Growing Love' daily and two chapters of the project for November each day. It will be hard work, but I'm sure I'll love it.

In case you need a reminder, here are the covers of the books I'm talking about.

 


And here is a little excerpt from the first draft of 'Growing Love', hope you'll like it.

Right at that time, a doctor and a nurse entered the room, “Morning everyone, hope you are all doing well.” The doctor looked around the room, “There seems to be one patient too many in here, one of the wrong gender.” He raised his eyebrows at Joshua.
The nurse shuffled her feet a little, “Sorry doctor, I allowed this gentleman to come in for a short period this morning to check in on his girlfriend before he needs to go to work.”
A smile appeared on his face, “Don’t worry nurse, I’m only pulling your leg. Let’s get started with the ward round, shall we?” Then they walked to the other two patients in succession first.
After a few minutes, the doctor came to my bed, “Morning Freya, how are you this morning?”
“Doing okay, thank you. When can I go home?”
He raised his eyebrows, “One step at a time, young lady.” He turned towards the nurse, “Can I have a look at this lady’s charts, please?”
The nurse handed the clipboard at the end of the bed to the doctor and he leafed through the details, making noises as he did. “Okay, this appears okay. Blood pressure normal, temperature normal, pulse normal as well. Ah, not drinking much yet, I notice,” he turned towards me, “Have you tried to drink some fluids? Or eat something?”
When I told him I had tried a little, he nodded, “That is great. Only little bits, but keep trying. Once you are able to keep your fluids down and are hardly sick any longer, we can consider letting you go home again. At the moment, I would suggest continuing as we are for now.” He turned towards the nurse again, “Can you arrange an ultrasound so we can check on the pregnancy and confirm how far along this young lady is? Thanks.” 
The doctor and nurse left and Joshua and I were alone at the bed again.

Love, 

Joni

No comments:

Post a Comment