Thursday 19 September 2019

Light at the end of the tunnel

Yes, there is. Finally!

We had our 5-yearly inspection visit yesterday and things went very well. We hope to get a very good rating on the basis of the visit and I'm so very proud of the team I now call 'my team'.

I've only officially been part of the management since January and the team has simply come so far in a short time. They are amazing!

After 2 weeks of very hard work getting the visit prepared, there should now be a somewhat quieter period ahead. This morning I even had time to do a little editing of the nearly completed book.

Yes! It's nearly completed. Another chapter has been edited and I had a quick look. Three more chapters left to edit.



Although it may be nearly a year since I started 'Diary of a Female GP' as my NaNoWriMo project, it's nearly ready now. Three more chapters to go, then a little work on formatting (exporting it to Word from yWriter 6 first) and then it will be ready for the beta-readers.

I have so far received interest from 4 people. If you are interested too, let me know. I'll be grateful for any help people can offer to make this book the best it can be. Who knows, I might even get it ready for publication by Christmas! Wouldn't that just be a great time for launching a new book?

Aah, you're keen for another little excerpt, are you? Well, okay then, here you go. Hope you'll enjoy it.


*****

At ten to nine, I call in Dr K’s third patient. My third patient has also arrived, but slightly later and with the double workload I have decided to see the patients on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Seventy-three-year-old Mabel is not impressed to see me, “I thought my appointment was with Dr K today. If I had known it was with you instead, I would have rearranged the appointment.”

Okay then, it is absolutely in her right to do so, “I’m really sorry about that. Dr K has called in sick this morning. If you wish, we can re-book your appointment with Dr K.”

“No, no, I’m here now. Better get it over and done with,” Mabel huffs. “My right knee has been playing up lately and I want something done about that. The painkillers are no longer doing anything for me.”

Mabel is known with osteoarthritis (ageing of the joint) and is currently on co-codamol 8/500 (this is a combination of 8 mg codeine and 500 mg paracetamol). Although Mabel takes two tablets of this four times a day, her pain is not sufficiently under control, and she would like something stronger for the pain. “Would you like to try co-codamol 30/500 instead? This is a little stronger than you are taking at the moment. Instead of 8 mg, it has 30 mg codeine in it.”

Mabel’s expression softens, and she no longer appears as displeased as she was when she first entered my room. The medication can, however, cause more constipation and drowsiness than the lower version does and I advise her of this. After I also advise her not to drive if any drowsiness occurs and to return if she has problems tolerating the medication or the pain does not respond to the stronger dose, she leaves.

*****

Joni

No comments:

Post a Comment