Saturday 2 July 2022

Progress report on Wake-Up Call

 As I've mentioned before, I have a few books waiting for editing and preparing for publication.


In November 2018, I wrote "Diary of a Female GP" as my NaNoWriMo project. While I was in the middle of writing this book, I was dragged out of retirement (and full-time writing) into a new, and over full-time, job. 

Suddenly, all my free time disappeared and I no longer could spend all my waking hours writing. Instead, I needed to find time around work to write.

No wonder, it took until August 2020 before I completed editing the book and could finally publish it. But, so far, it's my best-selling book and I'm quite proud of that.


Then, in November 2019, I wrote "Wake-Up Call". And, again, I didn't get much chance to write and edit. Especially not when in early 2019 the Covid pandemic made its appearance in the UK and healthcare fell under a lot of pressure. Even working in an administrative job in healthcare, the pressure was significant and time was a precious commodity.



Still, I continued editing "Diary of a Female GP" over the next 2 years. In November 2020 I even took part in NaNoWriMo again and wrote "Watching You From a Dark Corner". That book will need editing once I've finished "Wake-Up Call".

And now, there is some progress, finally. The first 10 chapters of "Wake-Up Call" have gone through a second edit. Yet another 26 chapters to go. Although it is still some way from full completion, there is progress. And, I'm looking forward to keeping the momentum I've got. Even if that will mean I'll need to put more discipline in place, get up a little earlier, and ensure I work on the book every week, hopefully even every day. It's way beyond time this book was completed and ready for publication.


And, to finish this post off, I'll share a short excerpt of the book with you again. I hope you'll enjoy it.

*****

After trying a little while longer to concentrate, I gave it up as a terrible job. This was going nowhere. 

Instead, I got up and walked to the door, “I’m just going to prepare some lunch, Beryl, I’ll be back soon.” Like before, she did not respond in the slightest. Beryl continued to ignore me as though I wasn’t even there. At least I continued to try.

It was only half-past eleven, too early for lunch. Perhaps I could prepare a quiche for Alicia and me, and Lizzie might like to join us. Monique wouldn’t take her to nursery until half-past one.

As I arrived in the kitchen, I noticed a movement in one corner. Lizzie sat playing there.

“Hi, pumpkin, are you ready for school?”

Lizzie insisted she was a big girl, and she attended school like her brother. Whenever we would ask her about nursery, she would get upset and tell us in no uncertain terms she went to school, not nursery.

“Yes, I’m ready as soon as I’ve had something to eat. Did I tell you about school yesterday? It was great, daddy, and Miss showed me how to write my name. See.” Lizzie walked towards me holding a piece of paper with Lizzie scribbled on it. However, the L was in mirror script and the Z resembled an S more. Lizzie had showed me her achievements yesterday at teatime, but it never hurt to praise your kids for things well done.

“Well done. That is fantastic, Lizzie.”



No comments:

Post a Comment