Thursday 18 July 2019

Progress report on Diary of a Female GP



I've done it! For 2 days in a row now I have been able to edit 'Diary of a Female GP'. Progress is still very slow, less than an hour a day to spend on editing is not much, but there is progress at least. I'm planning to get some more editing done today and hopefully get the book read by beta readers shortly after. It would be amazing to get the book published not long after.
If you would like a short excerpt, here it is:
~~~~
The next thing scheduled on my list is the second ten-minute break of the morning. As I’m again running ten minutes behind, this is used to catch up and I buzz for the next patient. When we decided to put these two catch-up slots in our morning and afternoon surgery, this was a good idea. More often than not we are in desperate need of them.
Forty-five-year-old Amanda tells me about what she expects are menopausal symptoms, “Simon has sent me. I have been really moody lately, crying one moment, happy the next and argumentative at times. It must be menopause, right? Can’t you give me some HRT to help me with this?”
So far, Amanda has not told me any symptoms to fit with menopause other than mood swings and I know I have to dig a little further, “What are your periods like?”
Amanda looks at me confused, “Uh..., normal. Why?”
“Are they any different from how they used to be, still regular?”
Amanda nods.
I explain that this does not fit with menopausal symptoms. During menopause, the periods stop or become rather irregular. Amanda also denies the presence of hot flushes and I am getting more convinced her symptoms are not due to menopause, “Is there any other reason you can think of why you would be having mood swings?”
“Simon and I have been experiencing some problems lately. He says it’s because I’m moody and menopausal. That I’m always argumentative. At times he calls me all kind of names under the sun.”
“And what do you think? Are the problems due to you or is there another reason?”
Amanda admits Simon can be verbally abusive, telling her she will never amount to anything, that she is stupid and everything she does is doomed to failure. She believes him and has given up on her plans to study for a degree at university. Simon has told Amanda staying at home and caring for their three children is much more suited to her abilities. “But sometimes I just can’t accept that and want to do more with my life. Simon is probably right though. Most likely I would fail. Better not to try.”
Inside I sense anger building and I push it down. There is no need to force my own hang-ups on others. Still, I feel people should never settle for less than they want or give up on their dreams. They should keep dreaming and who knows, one day those dreams might come true.
“Do you really consider that to be true?” It is probably the safest way of establishing whether this is what Amanda wants and needs.
“No, I still want to try and that is what causes all these arguments. Simon telling me I can’t do it and should not even try. But I really want to try. He has even threatened to cut my allowance if I don’t give up on this stupid idea. But if he cuts my allowance, I won’t be able to afford the shopping we need. And if I can’t afford the shopping, the kids won’t have enough to eat. I guess I have to give up on my dreams or it will harm my children and I can’t do that.”
By now I’m hearing alarm bells. How controlling is this man? Is Amanda at risk? Are the children at risk? After a few more questions, I am satisfied the children are not at risk, although the situation is hardly ideal. Amanda is not at risk either, other than of having her dreams taken away from her. After handing a leaflet about domestic abuse and the help available to people in those conditions, together with an offer of support if she needs it, Amanda leaves telling me she will think things over. Perhaps she will enroll into university after all.
~~~~
I hope you enjoyed this little taster of the book. If you are interested in beta reading, please let me know.
Joni.

No comments:

Post a Comment