Sunday 9 December 2018

Book Review: No Rest for the Vengeful by Ian Worrall

Book Review


Basic Details:

Book Title: No Rest for the Vengeful
Subtitle: Counterstriker’s Revenge Book 2
Author: Ian Worrall
Genre: Fantasy/Spy
Part of a series? Yes
Order in series: 2
Best read after earlier books in series? No
Available: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42972269-no-rest-for-the-vengeful

Overall score:

I scored this book 3/5

Short Summary of the book:

This book tells the story of Melissa, once the lover and protégé of a Russian mob boss. She had turned evidence against him in the first book (this is the second book in the series) and her once boss is plotting his escape and putting things in place to discover where she is hiding under the witness protection scheme. She is, however, captured by another organisation before he finds her and put to work to help a young woman escape human slavery.

What I liked about the book:

I particularly liked the theme of the story and the tension it appeared to promise. The story is a good one, which I enjoyed reading.

What I didn’t like about the book:

However, I wasn’t impressed by the writing style of the author. It was rather halting and stumbling at times and the sentences at times that short that you would have thought you were reading a story for children who were only learning to read. This, unfortunately, took some of the rhythm out of the story and made it annoying at times. I still wanted to know what happened next, though.

My favourite bits in the book:

I loved where Melissa and her handler got close and worked together to save the girl and where Melissa decided she had to save more girls from human slavery on the road there.

My least favourite bits in the book:

I didn’t like it when the story stumbled along with poorly constructed sentences at times.

Any further books in the series? Any more planned by this author?

I understand this is the second book in the series and expect the author will write more books in this series. The story certainly did not appear to be quite finished yet. What is the relationship between the boss of the organisation that recruited Melissa in a rather unorthodox way and Melissa? I’m sure there is more to this story than only the first two books.

What books could this be compared to and why?

This book reminded me of other spy books I have read, although it did not quite measure up to them. Perhaps with time the writing style of the author will improve as there certainly is promise in his books.

Recommendation:

In summary, I would recommend this book for the following readers:

Children
No
Young Adult
Yes
Adult
Yes

If you like Spy and Action series this book might be the book for you.

I look forward to reading more books by this author and finding out what happens to Melissa next.

Book Description by Author:


One year after going into witness protection Melissa is discovered by the Russian Mafia. And they’re not the only ones who want her. Now, she has a choice to make: renew the mission she abandoned when she went into hiding, or head to Russia for a final confrontation with her greatest enemy? Either way, her past is catching up with her and she's tired of running. The question is, who will win this time?

No comments:

Post a Comment