Sunday 2 December 2018

Third Assignment: The Importance of Saying Goodbye

Today I have worked on my third assignment for the free writing course from the University of Iowa.

Here is what I have put down:

The Importance of Saying Goodbye


This afternoon I need to visit Trevor at home. Trevor is a fifty-eight-year-old man who is terminally ill with bowel cancer. The district nurse informs me he likely has only a few more days to live and requests my visit today. Something exists which is called the two-week-rule. If a patient dies, and that patient was seen within the last two weeks, I can issue a death certificate. If not, the coroner needs to be involved. Trevor’s family will be distressed enough when he dies, they do not need the added distress an autopsy would bring.

* * *


When I arrive at his door, Trevor’s daughter opens the door, “Thank you for coming, doctor. Dad is in the back room.”
I hardly recognise him. Trevor used to be rather plump but today Trevor resembles a skeleton, his ribs and jawbones protrude. A glint lights up Trevor’s eyes, “Nice to see you, doc, not seen you for a long time.”
“Yes, you are right, it must have been a few years since I last met you. How are you holding up today?”
Trevor points to the syringe-driver, “Much better since you increased the pain relief, thank you. Managing okay now.”
We chat a while longer and Trevor tells me how it won’t be long now, “I can feel it in my bones.”
Trevor’s wife, two daughters and a son-in-law sit around his bed. Mary, Trevor’s wife, wipes away the tears from her eyes and one of Trevor’s daughters wraps an arm around her, “It will be okay mum,” while handing Mary a hanky and wiping her own eyes.


* * *


This may very well be the last time I will see Trevor alive. To be honest, I agree with the district nurse; I don’t expect Trevor to last the weekend. Although I am strapped for time, I do everything in my power to give the impression I have all the time in the world for Trevor. Still, at twenty-five past two, I get up and say goodbye to Trevor.
As I walk to the front door, Mary and her daughters follow and take me to the side, “How long do you think Dad has left? Should we ask Bill to come over from America?”
Bill is Trevor’s son and if Bill wants to be here before his father dies, he should really be quick. How can I word this without upsetting the family even more? “I can’t really say how long it will be. Anything I say is only a guess and Trevor may surprise us. My gut tells me this is a matter of days, but as I said, he may surprise us.”
The eldest daughter meets my gaze, “Thank you, doctor, I will phone Bill as soon as you have left.”


* * *


Before I leave, I feel the need to inform the family of some practicalities. Today is Friday and I won’t be back at work again until Tuesday. If Trevor passes away before I am back at work, a death certificate will need to wait until my return. In the past, the Out-of-Hours service has mistakingly informed families to pick up the death certificate at ten in the morning on the first working day. This is not always possible, and the delay distresses the family more than is necessary. I need to do all in my power to avoid this.
Mary turns towards me, “Thank you once again for coming doctor,” and opens the door.
As I say my goodbyes, I wish the family all the strength they need during this difficult time. If only I could do more.
While I drive home after the visit, my thoughts return to Trevor, Mary, their daughters and their son Bill. Will Bill make it in time to say goodbye to his father? I hope he will.

* * *


A few days later I find out Trevor passed away early on Sunday morning in the presence of his family. Bill was able to get home in time to say his goodbyes. A relieved sigh escapes. Being able to say your goodbyes can make the grieving process so much easier. It will still be hard, but at least it won’t be complicated by feelings of guilt caused by not making it on time.




No comments:

Post a Comment