Tuesday 13 November 2018

A belated update for yesterday's #nanowrimo2018 progress

Apologies for a late update. Yesterday was a busy day, the usual household chores and grocery shopping coming first. Then I wrote another chapter of  'Growing Love', which also included a bit of research for a holiday scene. Although I had visited the area a lot in the past, I needed to double-check a few details and make sure nothing had changed. This took most of my morning and writing the #NaNoWriMo project took a bit of a step back.

Yesterday afternoon I did write another chapter of the book, 2511 words, bringing the total up to 66010 as per yesterday. The update on the progress of 'Diary of a Female GP' had to wait. No time was left over to do this last night as I needed to visit a friend in hospital.

So, here is the belated update:


Or if you prefer to see the daily progress broken down per day (bearing in mind I have not done any writing yet today as it is only eight in the morning and therefore today's count is still at 0), you can have a look below:
(I love yWriter 6 so far, a free programme with a lot of helpful things to create your writing projects)


And for the daily excerpt, here you are. I hope you enjoy it.

Ben, the forty-six-year-old man with lower backache is the first extra patient of the afternoon. Ben phoned for a sick note this morning, which he did not require and called back later in the morning as his back pain was such he wanted to be seen because of it. Or so he told the receptionist.
“Doc, I know you said I don’t need a sick note, but my gaffer..., well...,” Ben fidgets with a leaflet he picked up in reception, “The thing is..., he won’t let me take time off unless I get a note from you. Honestly, I really need that sick note.”
So, how about that backache worsening? “Can I just make sure? You are here for a sick note and not because the pain is worse? Is that correct?”
Ben nods, “Yes, it was the only way the receptionist would let me speak to you again.”
“Well, here is the situation. Legally, your employer is not allowed to ask for a doctor’s note until you have been off sick for at least one week. Employers are legally bound to accept an employee’s self-certificate for a duration of up to one week. Obviously, you should only use that option if you are unable to work. If your employer for some unknown reason insists on a doctor’s note, there is only one option for that. I can give you a private sick note, but such a note carries a charge. A charge I believe the employer should pay, but they will often leave it to the patient to pay for it instead.” 
Ben nods.
“Knowing what I have told you, do you want me to give you a private sick note? A note you legally do not require?”
“Well, if you put it like that. I will try my employer again and get back to you if he insists on a note from you.”
“And how about your back? Is it worse, the same? Can I examine your back while you are here, so we have that to back up any notes you may require later?”
“No, really, there is no need. It is improving already. No need to bother with that. Cheerio.”
Ben leaves and I wonder why people will sometimes make up things to see us.

Joni

No comments:

Post a Comment