Friday 16 November 2018

#nanowrimo2018 day 16, and the writing continues.

Today is day 16 of #nanowrimo2018. So far, I have managed to write every day and update you on the progress daily as well. I am not sure how long this will continue. It is official, from Monday I will need to give up my freedom and start participating in the working life again. The good news is, 'Diary of a Female GP' is close to being completed. The week discussed now has reached the end of Friday, only the evening is left to narrate. Once Friday is completed, Saturday and Sunday are the only days to mention and those days should not take too long.

Here is the progress report for today:

Chapters: 2
Words added: 2816
Total words in project: 81949 (yes I know, 1 more would have felt better, and 51 more better still)

The next job on the diary for today is to write 'Growing Love', not much of it, probably only a few scenes. More work needs doing, the course I started yesterday is waiting for me again too.

And here is the usual image to show the progress again, and you can find an excerpt from the work in progress too. This excerpt is slightly different. It does not show the working life, but part of the private life of the GP involved. Hope you like it.

A few notes to make the excerpt easier to follow, it's Friday teatime and Harry, Dr J's youngest son has his friend, Christian over to play. Christian's mum Anna is due to pick him up at seven and John, Dr J's husband usually returns home around seven as well.



Soon the first pancakes are ready, and I call the kids to the table. Everyone enjoys their pancakes and Christian’s second pancake is one with bacon and apple, “I’ve never had a pancake like this before, they are nice.” While the kids eat their tea, I continue to make more pancakes in an attempt to keep up with the demand. Their knives, forks and mouths work faster than I can prepare pancakes, but they will have to wait their turn. 
I’m also watching the news and this is as depressing as always. When everyone only has room left for one more pancake, I offer to make this a dessert pancake, “How about making a pancake with a face? Eyes made of ice cream and chocolate drops, a nose made of a cherry and a mouth out of a piece of banana. We can use whipping cream for the hair and eyebrows. What do you think?”
Shouts sound all around me as they are excited by the idea. When the first ones are ready for Harry and Christian, Christian is quick to pick up his knife and fork again, but then drops them next to his plate again. Instead, he takes his mobile phone out of his pocket and snaps a picture, “I want to show this to my mum. Maybe she can make pancakes like this one day too.”
Now all the batter is gone, and they finished their meal, the kids return to their bedrooms while I tidy everything away. I check the time and notice it is already a quarter past six, high time to make the preparations for our tea. John will probably be home around seven again. Today I have a treat for us, fresh mussels. Fries and peas will go well with that meal, but before I do anything, I will first need to clean and examine the mussels. All the mussels that won’t close when tapped I put to the side, I remove all the debris around them, and place them in a mussels pan we bought in France on holiday. Chopped onion and oil are waiting on the bottom of the pan and once all the mussels are all in the pan, I add curry powder, parsley and chopped garlic. All set, they only need ten minutes and I’ll wait until John is home before putting it on the stove.
Half-past six, time to put the fries in the airfryer. They take about half an hour and that’s when I expect John to be here. The peas can wait another ten minutes. And now the wait starts for John to come home and Anna to pick Christian up.

Joni

No comments:

Post a Comment