Wednesday 7 November 2018

Day 7 of #nanowrimo2018

Time for another update.

Today I have taken it easy, it's my birthday after all. Still, I have written 4183 words on the project, bringing the total so far up to 45086 words. Not bad over seven days I think. I have so far not written anything on my sixth book yet, but I have also published another book review on a book I've read.
Other than that, I have also baked a cake, it's my birthday after all.


I hope everyone else taking part is doing well too.

And here is another little excerpt from the work in progress,

Now I continue with the electronic prescriptions, signing them and signing a few of the prescriptions in the box I brought down with me as well. Once the electronic prescriptions have been dealt with, I move to deal with the tasks, but notice there is another patient awaiting to be dealt with on my screen. In the bottom of the screen on the clinical system, several coloured squares show, which contain numbers. Some are for the results, showing how many results there are in total, how many there are for me and how many there are with no clinician assigned. 
Next to that it shows the letters in much the same way, total number of letters with next to it number assigned to me. 
The next line of coloured squares shows all my appointments for the current session, the number of patients seen, the number of patients awaited, the number of patients who have arrived and the number of patients waiting for me. 
The following squares show the total number of electronic prescriptions, and the number assigned to me.
The last group of squares relates to the number of tasks, total number, tasks assigned to the group I belong to and tasks assigned to me.
In the square of patients awaited, there now shows a number one. Another patient has been added to my list. As I don't want any patients to slip through the net through either my own or someone else's mistake, I return to the appointment screen and find another ringback waiting on my screen. Why did no one alert me? Or is this again a ringback added in error?
When I open the patient's notes and check details of the ringback, it only states "Personal problem. Patient wants to speak to you."
Oh, yes, it is Eleanor, a forty-nine year old lady who only wants to see and speak to me. For some unknown reason, she only trusts me. We have patients like that and I suspect there are patients like that in every GP practice. Usually she wants to talk about her panic attacks and I take a deep breath and phone Eleanor.
"Oh, thank you for phoning back doctor. I would like to make an appointment to see you please."
Huh? Why did she not ask the receptionist for an appointment?
"Is there any reason why you wanted to speak to me today other than to book an appointment?"
"No there isn't. Do you have any appointments next week perhaps?"
"Eleanor, there is no need for you to speak to me to book an appointment. Perhaps you can phone our receptionists to book an appointment?"
She agrees and we finish the call. My mind boggles at why she would want to speak to me to book an appointment. Five wasted minutes in which more of the paperwork could have been completed.


Joni

No comments:

Post a Comment