Sunday 11 November 2018

Time for another daily update, day 11 of #nanowrimo2018

So here we are again on day 11 of #NaNoWriMo. Time for another update on my progress and this will as always include a little excerpt from my work in progress.

Today I have reached 63499 words, and I was tempted to add another one, part of my OCD really. I like to have nice round numbers. The added number of words today was 3445, so adding another one would have messed with the nice round number there anyway.




Now it will be time to get back to writing my sixth book again soon, not much has happened with that over the last few days, only about 300 words and that is nothing really.

So here is the excerpt (also on the picture above), I hope you'll like it.

Five-year-old Bradley is my next patient. Today he has come with his dad. Bradley spends half the week with his mum and the other half with his dad. Tonight he will return to his mum for a few days and then return to dad again on Sunday. Although his parents are no longer together, they sorted the childcare out well between them and work together as a team where Bradley is concerned.
The reason they are here is due to a deterioration in Bradley’s asthma. Over the course of today, his breathing has worsened, he is more wheezy and, although his inhalers help, he needs to use them on an hourly basis.
When I examine Bradley’s chest, there are a few crackles on the right and he is very wheezy. The skin on his chest gets drawn in between his ribs a little and this is again a sign he is struggling a little. I try to test his peak flow (a breathing test), aware Bradley is likely too young to be able to perform this, and it is lower than expected for his age and height. The technique shown during this test was however poor and the result is therefore not accurate. When I test his oxygen levels, they are 99% and his pulse is a little fast at 96 per minute. 
At the moment I wonder if we should have Bradley admitted. When I suggest this to dad, he is adamant Bradley has been far worse than this and usually recovers quickly with antibiotics and steroids. Bradley’s breathing appears to have settled a little and I agree to give Bradley antibiotics and steroids and let him go home, provided his parents will seek medical attention immediately if he does not improve or worsens overnight.
Before he leaves, I also book an appointment for the next morning to review Bradley again, “Although I officially have no appointments available tomorrow, I still want to see him again. Does ten to ten suit?”
“That sounds fine doctor. His mum can take him, she is off on Friday. Are you sure it’s not too much bother?”
No, Bradley needs to be reviewed tomorrow and if creating an extra appointment before tomorrow’s surgery is what is needed, I will do that. They leave, promising to re-arrange the appointment if it is not suitable after all.

Joni

No comments:

Post a Comment