Tuesday 20 November 2018

Nearly there, #nanowrimo2018 day 20

Today I got up at four, did the housework and some writing afterwards. I need to get ready for work soon and I wanted to have a chance to get some writing done. Nearly there! Only one more chapter left to write and the back matter, then the first draft is done. If I have a chance, I will do a first edit before exporting 'Diary of a Female GP' from yWriter 6 to word and validate the win. Not much left now and should be able to get there in time.
Added words today: 1685
Total words so far (this is a funny one and I'm not sure how I managed to get this number) is 88088.

My process for today is down below, and today I have a short excerpt of the work in process, unedited. Hope you like it.


Now it is time to summarise a few more notes. By now it is already half-past nine and I resolve to summarise notes until twelve. In this period of time I only manage to process another ten sets of notes, one set taking nearly an hour. This patient is a diabetic. Details of last annual review need to be added to the electronic records and a new recall date set for the next review. She also suffers with asthma, the last review over two years ago and the patient uses inhalers. This means the patient should be seen on an annual basis, she must have slipped the net or not attended for her review when requested. On the patient's notes, I set a date for next month for the review and I send a task to the receptionist who sends out the letters for recalls to alert her. The patient's last cervical smear was last year and it was normal, she needs another smear in two years as she is under fifty years old. All these details I put on the electronic notes too. A history of hypertension, high blood pressure, is also recorded in the notes, an annual review for this not obvious in the notes. Perhaps as this will be done at the same time as the diabetic check anyway. The date I put for recall for the hypertension review, is the same date as for the diabetic review. The same goes for the date for the patient's annual CHD (chronic heart disease) review, she suffered a heart attack two years ago.
When I finally put away the final set of notes for today, I'm quite pleased with myself having managed fifteen sets of notes, it is twelve. Still, it is only a start. We have a bit of a backlog at the moment after a recent influx of new patients. John is correct in saying we need to get more people involved with the summarising. Perhaps we can train our staff up to do this for us.

Joni

No comments:

Post a Comment