Friday 9 November 2018

It's #NaNoWriMo day 9!

I have put 'Diary of a Female GP' to the side for today. Even though I have not written a lot of words today, I'm still on track to complete the first draft of this book by the end of the month, I believe. 
Twenty-five of an estimated forty-three chapters have been written so far and today's total is 56579. A total of 4009 words have been added to the project today.

After my update yesterday, I finally gave in to the urge to edit some of this book. By now, the first five chapters have been edited for an initial time. Once the first draft is complete, I will read through and edit the book again. Only after that, I would estimate the book ready for the beta-readers. So, if there is anyone out there who would like to help me out and read the book before anyone else does and give me their opinion, please let me know.


The next job on my list is to have some relaxation time now and update myself on e-mails and social media and the like. After that I'll get back to writing 'Growing Love'. That has been rather static over the last few days. The need to complete that book is growing steadily. In the near future, my husband may need me to help him out at his business. If that will happen, the time left for writing will be greatly reduced. The sooner I get the book finished, the better it is.

Now for the daily excerpt, here you go, I hope you enjoy it. But as always, please remember this is still a work in progress.

When I return to my room afterwards, a ringback marked 'urgent' is waiting for me. Before doing anything else, I open the notes to check the details. "Paramedic with patient. Requesting urgent visit. Please ring asap," it reads.
The daughter of eighty-seven year old George has phoned an ambulance as he was struggling to breathe and she suspected he needed to be admitted. George suffers from severe COPD (chronic bronchitis) and is bringing up thick green phlegm. Even simple activities like putting his clothes on, have George gasping for air. After the paramedic has given me this background information, he then continues to tell me about his oxygen levels, which are only eighty-two at the moment.
Why are they even asking for a visit? George needs to be in the hospital, not to wait for me to do a visit and lunchtime and then be admitted to hospital.
"George does not want to be admitted, doctor, and we can't transport him against his wishes. We would therefore ask you to come out now to see George as an emergency."
Sorry? Come again. They want me to leave a busy surgery with patients waiting to be seen? Only so they are covered if they leave as George does not want to be admitted? "Sorry, I'm afraid I'm a little overstretched at the moment and will not be able to see George until later today. But really, he needs to be in hospital with the symptoms and signs you just mentioned."
The paramedic asks if I can speak to George in that case.
"How are you feeling George?"
"Like a wrung out towel to be honest. But I don't want to go to hospital and be told I'm a time waster." George needs to take a breath every other word, he is really struggling.
"George, it does not sound like you are a timewaster. You sound like you need to be in hospital and I would strongly advise you to go with the ambulance who has come for you."
George sounds dejected, "Okay, if you really think it is needed I'll go." He still needs to stop every other word to catch his breath.
Pleased to have succeeded to convince George to do what is best for him, I continue to the next thing on the list.

Joni

No comments:

Post a Comment